PLEASE SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE TO SUBMIT.
Writers' Residency January 1- April 30
Open Reading February 1- April 30
Poetry Prize May 1-October 18, 2020
GUIDELINES FOR MANUSCRIPTS
The author must hold all rights to the work. The manuscript may include previously published work but may not have been published as a whole. Proper attribution must accompany previously published work.
The author must be over 21 years of age.
Submit a manuscript of 48-72 pages in a single document.
- Use Times New Roman or similar 12 pt font, with at least one-inch margins, with a Table of Contents.
- The text must be written in English and must be solely one author's work.
Simultaneous submissions are accepted but you MUST notify Red Mountain immediately and withdraw your work at once if the work is accepted elsewhere.
FOR THE POETRY PRIZE
- Each poem must begin on a new page with the title of the poem at the top. Very short poems, such as haiku, may be grouped together on a single page if they would appear together in the final book.
- Title page should include ONLY the title.
- Do not have your name or identifying data on the manuscript. The submission manager links your data to your submission and you may enter an optional cover letter, which is not visible to the judges.
- The judge will do an initial blind reading of each entry and nominate the finalists. The publisher with the judge will choose the winning entry from among the finalists. If a judge recognizes work during the blind reading, that judge will recuse him/herself from consideration of that entry.
- People related to the publisher are not eligible. The final decision is at the sole discretion of the publisher.
No information will be available in response to telephone inquires. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and write prize query in the subject line.
Please check the website, www.redmountainpress.us, for updates and further information. The winner and finalists will be announced on this page.
Applications are due by May 31, 2020
The WRITERS' RETREAT at Sanibel Island, Florida offers two- and four-week residencies November 14-December 12, 2020 to poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers in a secluded Sanibel Island home. Residents are provided with a private room, space and undistracted time. Resident authors will be responsible for their own meals in the shared kitchen and will meet for dinner each evening.
There is no fee for the residency.
Using the online application system, submit 10 pages of poetry or up to 15 pages of prose, a project proposal, a professional résumé, and a $35 application fee by May 31.
Authors will have an opportunity for an individual, private critique with Susan Gardner, poet, publisher and founding editor of Red Mountain Press for fee of $150.00. www.susangardner.org
The invitation to the residency is for the author only. Collaborators must apply separately. Family and guests cannot be accommodated. Pets and smoking are not permitted.
The residency can be reached by island taxi. Bicycles and tricycles are available for rent and are a good way to get around the island. If you decide to rent a car, there is easy parking on the property. The nearest airport is Fort Myers, FL, about an hour's drive in the winter season.
No purchase is required, but we hope that you will read Red Mountain Press' books, available at your local library, our website, and your favorite independent bookstore.
The open reading period is February 1-April 30. There is no fee to submit for the open reading.
Use a standard 12 point font like Palatino or Gill Sans, with no gimmicks or glitz. You may send a cover letter in the form. Be sure your contact information is accurate and complete, including your website if you have one.
Poetry: send a manuscript of 48-72 pages, in a standard font, with a Table of Contents and pagination. Each poem should start at the top of a new page.
Narrative: From a completed work, send three chapters of your memoir, essays or novel, paginated, with a brief description of the work. If you are invited to submit the manuscript, be prepared to send the complete, well edited manuscript.
We will reply within three months, by September.